Saturday, April 12, 2008

under $20 project!


Something needed to be done in our homes entry way. We live in a bi-level and the entrance foyer is very small. Since we turned the coat closet at the top of the stairs into extra kitchen storage some thing needed to be done for our coats, and this Wall was crying out for something. For under $20 I was able to do what you see above, I hung trim molding and then added a 1X3 for a shelf, after caulking and painting, it looks like it has always been there. Then I added simple coat hooks (4 hooks, one for each family member and as you can see, Abby has taken over 2 hooks for now!). The hooks are low enough for Abby to reach and are out of our way. I also painted the wall under the molding a different color. (Lowe's oops paint $3 a gallon!)
The shelf is great for leaning pictures against and makes a great eye line to hang pictures above. I have struggled with decorating our house, this idea was 3 years worth of thinking. Well, worth it we think! We are glad to have some pictures up and I am looking forward to decorating the shelf with the holidays. My Dad's Santa statues will look great there at Christmas time!
Once I tile the floor, we will have totally changed the entry way. I spent about 3 weeks last year painting and re staining the wood work. I also added a etched class look to the windows on either side of the front door.
It's coming along!!!!
K

No comments: