Saturday, August 2, 2008

Soccer Star




Abby had her very first soccer practice last week. She is very excited to be on the team with her friends Caitlin and Alicia (twins from preschool class)
9 kids on the team (6 girls, 3 boys)
We had a great time picking out her own soccer ball, cleats and shin guards. As you can see from the pictures, she chose pink cleats and pink shin guards! I didn't even know they made them in pink! Much has changed since my soccer days............I might have chosen pink too,
at 4............almost 5.
Kevin and I enjoyed watching her participate in practice, she can be such a goof! What surprised us and her coach was her ability to use both feet. Abby is a lefty, but in sports she uses both with no difficulty. At the end of practice they had a scrimmage, while all other players bunched up, she spread out and yelled for them to pass it to her. Her coach asked if she had ever played before...........................I guess she was listening to me in the back yard the day before! Huh.......
We look forward to watching her this season. It brings so many great memories back to me from when I played and my parents watched from the side lines, they were pretty faithful when it came to my soccer. I kept thinking of the way my Dad would yell "that's my boy!".
At the time I hated the title, I am a girl after all. But I look back now and realize that my Dad really enjoyed watching me play, he just liked to raze me! In his "older generation mind" girls were supposed to wear dresses and knit, not play soccer, especially a goalie!
Times certainly have changed! Soccer is so much more popular now.
Enjoy the pics, I am certain that there will be many more of our soccer star on here this fall!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Abby the soccer star!!! I can see it now! She'll be making the headlines across the state by 5th grade!!! We're so excited for her! She'll have so much fun! Soccer is a great sport and Uncle Chy thinks she picked the best one!!! When I was little soccer wasn't a choice on my list! Lucky girl!!
Abby Liz - have so much fun! Enjoy playing! Those long legs of yours will kick so many goals you'll lose track! We love you so very much!!!

Love,
Aunt Alison & Uncle Cheyenne