Wednesday, August 5, 2009

2 more days in Thailand.....

Hi All, first, let me thank everyone for the warm birthday wishes. It's wonderful being 29! LOL

I'd love to say that today was yet another wonderful day here in thailand, but......it has been a tough one. :(

Shaun is showing signs of grief, which is very hard for me to handle. He spent most of today crying and banging at our hotel room door. If he wasn't doing that, he was laughing.............how can a kid go from crying so hard to laughing, and then right back to crying? I will admit to a bit of crying myself today................he seems to need Kev and I both in his sight at all times, which makes it hard to do simple neccesary things .....i.e.- use bathroom...............:>
This has definetly been the hardest day for me as a MOM. I know now that we were spoiled rotten by Abby and that every child is different. It is just so hard to see him like that after such a great day yesterday.

Also, web cammimg with Abby has been a lot harder than we had thought. With the time dif. and our schedules, we have not had much phone/ webcam time with her..............and of course our web cam is giving us a hard time......................I just miss her so much. My heart is aching for my daughter and also for my son. I am sure we will have a better day ahead, but boy, it has been a rough one. So rough I had some tequila at dinner just to relax.(but it never kicked in)

I am so thankful that Kev's Dad and step-mom are here with us. They are so supportive in us and our parenting and it was just what the doctor ordered for me today. Thanks to them for sitting in the lobby with me tonight and just letting me vent my fustrations with life. I appreciate them so much, it will be hard to say good bye to them in a few days.

We had our Thai meeting this morning, it was the easiest part of the day. The board was very sweet and Shaun was a ham for them. I do have some neat pictures to share with you all, when the time allows and my computer cooperates! He is officially ours!

Just a bit of shopping today, nothing special. Had NY style pizza for lunch and a great Thai dinner poolside with the folks! Also had a chance to get to know a Norwegon family adopting a 3 year old boy. Very nice family. We hope to stay in touch with them in the future.

Well, bed time for me......................Kev and Shaun are already there.

Love to you all, and please pray for an easier day for Shaun. I know this is very normal, but seeing him this way would just break your heart.

8 comments:

Karrie said...

Hi Kat,
You are doing everything perfectly. Grief is like that. People often have moments of release through laughter when they gather after a funeral for example. It's natural You can only take so much pain. The past life is passing, that hurts when a child has been loved as Shaun has. Our newly home Son was not loved or protected and is suffering in other ways. You will hurt together a lot in coming months but you will heal together too. Abby is grieving too and I know that hurts your heart to know that. It won't be easy in the first weeks home but it will get better. It really will.

Lynn said...

You are in our prayers and our hearts!

Anonymous said...

Kat,

His reactions are normal, and time will make it pass. Hang in there, and if I didn't tell you already,
Happy 29th birthday!

Carol & girls

Ellie said...

I can totally relate to what you're experiencing! It will be over in a flash, and will soon be only a memory. So, as tough as it is *and I know it's TOUGH*, hang in there! Try to enjoy Thailand while you're there. You'll soon be home and settling in with all members of the family present. It will feel so good to have you all under one roof, but believe it or not, you'll probably miss some of these times.
Praying for you!
Ellie

Sue & Tom said...

Kath, check your email--I sent a message-- I wish I could be there to help you!
Love,
Mom

Sharon said...

It will be hard for a couple of days but hang in there. The tattoo DH has on his arm - does it say NITHITORN? Shauns Thai name??

Sharon (AUST)

Sharon said...

Oh, forgot to say, we must have just missed you in Bkk. We left on the 31st July. We'd been in Thailand 24 days. Did manage to meet up with another US family Jamie and Angie with their 7 yr old boy Amarin. Did you see them at the board meeting??

Sharon

Judith said...

Kathleen: Hang in there…the grieving piece is so hard but it will get better. The only thing I can tell you is that it truly is a natural and really a positive sign. You can be happy in knowing that all Shaun’s giggles and smiles are there for you because there was such a positive force in his life & naturally he is sad and naturally your sad. Yet, Shaun’s foster family gave him(and you) a wonderful gift, too. Yes he was cared for…he had food and shelter but their greater gift was that they taught him to love, about nurturing and trust and those are all the tools he will take with him as he builds his new life with you.

Isabelle had several times of great sadness. Diana and I survived it as we began to understand what a wonderful and loving influence her foster family had been…their influence began to show in many different ways. I knew in my heart that she had been well loved…so the three of us would boo hoo together. You wipe their tears, hold then close, tell them you love them and that it will be OK…because it will. Promise. Keep making wonderful memories and we can’t wait to welcome you all home.
Judith